Dive watches – How to buy the right dive watches
Along with the field watch and the aviation watch, the dive watch is one of the most prolific men’s watch styles. In this article, we are going to look into the top dive watches for men that you can add to your watch collection.
It should be obvious that accurate timekeeping is crucial when hundreds of feet underwater while carrying a finite supply of air. As a result, divers have always demanded superior timepieces for diving. Modern scuba didn’t really exist until the 1950s, right around the time Ian Fleming started writing the James Bond novels. This was the time that Rolex introduced Submariner, so diving and Rolex have been linked ever since.
Dive watches – materials to look for in dive watches
In addition to accuracy, a dive watch must also possess superior water resistance. A true diver will conform to the ISO 6425 standard, a series of tests designed to ensure resistance to at least 100 meters, though many will offer even greater resistance.
Case and band material must be corrosion resistant, so stainless steel, titanium, silicone, and rubber are often used. Bands are typically longer than usual in order to fit over bulky dive equipment. While sapphire is often the desired watch crystal material, divers may prefer hardened mineral glass. Even though it scratches more easily than sapphire, it is more resistant to breakage, which can be catastrophic when deep underwater.
Dive watches – here is a list of the best dive watches for men
Dive watches – Rolex Submariner
- Rolex Submariner– no diving men’s watches collection will be complete without this piece. A first of its kind when it was launched in 1953. Ahead of its time. Oystersteel watch cases, it belongs to the 904L steel group. This kind of technology is made to survive even the toughest of conditions. Ahead of its time.
- 40 mm diameter, and a thickness of 13 mm
- Balanced weight, with the bracelet weighing just 155g
- Oystersteel technology on both its face and bracelet; very resistant and impervious t harsh environments
- Glidelock, that let adjustments be made easily
- Waterproof depth of 100 meters
Dive watches – Tudor Heritage Black Bay
2. Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79730– a new and shall we say and improved version of the Black Bay steel. A Luxury name in men’s watches, although perhaps us up there in price as its sister company Rolex.
- Comes in 3 models; black bezel, burgundy bezel and blue bezel)
- 39 mm in diameter and 11.9 mm thickness, just the right size
- Steel or leather bracelet, both in nylon NATO-style band
- 200-meter water resistance
Dive Watches – Bell & Rosse Marine
3. Bell & Ross Marine Automatic BR0292 Carbon Pro – attractive as it is useful. This model is not just for having casual diving fun, it is for professionals. It fosters impressive specifications, that well make worth every dime. Wonderful craftsmanship makes it pleasing to the eyes.
- 44 mm diameter round dial, with 17 mm thickness
- Bezel in stainless + PVD
- Black rubber bracelet, with stainless steel buckle
- Water-resistant depth is at 1000 meters
- Includes decompression valve and rotating the unidirectional bezel
- Legible in the darkness
Dive watches – Rolex Ex Sea-Dweller
4. Rolex Ex Sea-Dweller Deepsea– another one from this famous Swiss men’s watches maker. Often referred to as the Submariner’s better brother. Better in both performances and of course greater in price.
- The stylish cool blue-black gradient dial
- 44 mm diameter, with a thickness of 17.7 mm, with a total weight of 212 g
- with patented gas escape valve
- can go as deep as 300 meters
Dive watches – IWC Aquatimer
5. IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Galapagos Islands IW379502 –a self-winding diver’s watch. Another masterpiece by the popular name in the watchmaking scene, IWC. Quite stylish with a marine iguana engraved at the back of the case.
- Round dial with a 45 mm diameter, the face is made from synthetic sapphire; all black beauty
- Chronograph and has a date and calendar feature
- Made of stainless steel, with vulcanized rubber-coating case
- Self-winding and automatic, quite sensitive to the movements of the arm
- Water resistance up to 30 bar
Dive watches – things to consider before buying dive watches
Best budget dive watches are those that will serve the purpose at hand which is diving. They should be water-resistant at all depths that have been specified by the manufacturer. They should come at a low cost (less than $1000) which is affordable without stretching a buyer’s budget. Also, these dive watches should be easy to use for diving novices. It is worth noting that budget dive watches may not spot the fancy designs and specs like those of a high-end dive watch.