Watch maintenance – Summer guide
Summer is about outdoor activities from swimming, hiking, diving, and being exposed to the summer sun a lot. When it comes to your most important accessory which is your wristwatch, it will also be exposed to all the things you are going to do as this is your companion for all your activities. So we have come up with a watch maintenance guide for this summer, to keep your wristwatch looking new, fresh, and clean during your summer activities.
Watch maintenance – the most cleaning goes to your watch strap
Your watch strap is what holds your watch to your body and therefore it is the one that gets the most exposure to sun, sweat and body oil. This means when you wear the wrong strap for the summer season, the strap can get dirty, wet, and loose its original texture. For instance, leather watch straps are not great during summer, as the leather’s worst enemy is sweat, dust, and heat from the sun.
Watch maintenance – How to clean your watch strap
First of all, the cleaning guide depends on the type of strap. Below are guidelines on how to clean different watch straps.
Watch maintenance – leather watch straps
- Wipe the leather strap with a clean dry cloth – remove dust and sweat and other harmful particles from your leather watch strap before proceeding to clean with leather watch strap cleaning products.
- Soak the leather watch strap in dish wash soap with lukewarm water
- Condition the leather watch strap with leather conditioner
- Let it air dry overnight.
Watch maintenance – Rubber watch straps
- Use toothpaste – begin to rub toothpaste on the rubber watch strap and get a used toothbrush with soft bristles and brush the rubber watch straps gently
- Rinse with water – rinse your watch strap with cold water
- If the dirt still remains – mix baking soda with water to form a paste-like substance and rub it on the strap
- Rinse with water thoroughly and let it air dry overnight
Watch maintenance – stainless watch bracelets
- Start with wiping down your metal watch strap with a clean dry cloth
- Dip it then in a warm soapy water
- Gently scrub your watch band with soft bristle toothbrush
- Rinse with lukewarm water until the soap is gone
- Dry with a clean cloth and let it air dry overnight
Watch maintenance – keep your watch clean
Watch maintenance is very important, while you are enjoying your summer activities with your favorite watch, it is important to keep in mind that there is only so much that a watch strap can take from outdoor activities, and the harmful particles it is exposed to. This is why it is important to keep cleaning the strap a habit. Wipe your watch with a clean cloth before storing it away at the end of the day.