Watch buying guide – How to start a watch collection
With more choice and information available than ever before, there hasn’t been a better time to collect vintage watches for men than today. For many people, it begins with vague interest, perhaps triggered by the gift of a fine timepiece as a Christmas present or alike, and blossom into a healthy obsession as they dig deeper into their brand’s story. Pretty soon the single model starts to look a little lonely on the shelf, and then the search for a new watch begins. So where do you start with your wristwatch collection? Here is a guide on how you can start your watch collection.
Watch buying guide – Why do you want to start a watch collection
This may sound strange, but the reason behind your obsession for collecting wristwatches should need reasons for you to better know which wristwatches to look for. Here are some few questions you need to ask yourself before searching for the next wristwatch:
- Do you want a watch for every occasion?
- Do you want a watch that will fit your business suit?
- Do you want a watch to fit your everyday attire?
- DO you need a watch for your outdoor activities?
These questions will help you narrow down the endless selections of watch types, if you are looking for a business dress watch that will fit best with a suit, you should narrow your search down as there are plenty of options available online and offline.
Watch buying guide – here is a quick look for types of watches
A watch showcase the wearer’s personality. It can convey his taste, wealth and even humor. Choosing a watch can be overwhelming, there are so many things to consider, having an appropriate watch for any event in your life will ensure that you are really dressing up where life takes you.
Watch buying guide – types of watches to choose from
Watch buying guide – type #1 Analog watches
- Analog watch – Analog watches for men have a display with a miniature clock-face with 12-hours, an hour hand, and a minute hand. Analog watches also have a second-hand.
Watch buying guide – type #2 Digital watches
- Digital watch – Digital watches are where the watch displays the hour, minute, and seconds in digits, rather than by hands on a dial.
Watch buying guide – type #3 Automatic watches
- Automatic watch – an automatic watch is a watch that continues to operate due to the regular motion of the wearer’s wrist. Automatic wristwatches don’t need winding if worn regularly.
Watch buying guide – type #4 Chronograph watches
- Chronograph watch – Chronograph is a fancy word for a stopwatch. Using chronograph is easy. You just press the start/stop button on the side of the watch to start and stop the stopwatch.
Watch buying guide – type #5 Dive watches
- Diving watch- the Diving watch is designed for underwater activities such as scuba diving. The diving watch has a water resistance of around 200 to 300 meters or 660 to 980 feet.
Watch buying guide – type #6 Dress watches
- Dress watch – The dress watch is the most elegant of watches. It has one purpose and that is to tell time. A dress watch needs to be simplistic. Elegant and above all minimalistic like the ones you see on Montara Watches watch collections.
Watch buying guide – type #7 Quartz watches
- Quartz watch – A quartz watch is powered by an electronic oscillator synchronized by a quartz crystal. The electric current causes the quartz inside to pulsate with a precise frequency.
Watch buying guide – type #8 Mechanical watches
- Mechanical watch – A mechanical watch is a watch that uses a mechanism to measure the passage of time, as opposed to modern quartz watches within function electronically.
Watch buying guide – type #9 Pilot watches
- Pilot watch – Pilot watches are tough and ready for anything, pilot watches are also called aviator watches.
Watch buying guide – type #10 Field watches
- Field watch – Field watch was designed for offices who needed to coordinate attacks, tell time at night, and sport a wristwatch that could withstand the rigors of battle, all while still looking good.
Watch buying guide – type #11 Smartwatches
- Smartwatch – A smartwatch is a portable device that’s designed to be worn on the wrist, just like a traditional watch. Like smartphones have touch screens, support apps and often record heart rate and other vital signs.
Watch buying guide – type #12 Luxury watches
- Luxury watch – these watches are great for watch collectors or watch connoisseurs and the ones who appreciate great precision and handcrafted complications in a watch.
Watch buying guide – What should you buy
Once you have identified your personal reasons for starting your new hobby and even if you have narrowed the field slightly by opting to concentrate on a certain type or brand of watch, you are still going to be left with a massive selection to choose from.
- Only buy timepieces you actually like – there is still a certain amount of snootiness surrounding wristwatches and it is easy to fall into the trap of purchasing a particular model because you feel it is important, something you are supposed to have, rather than it being one you enjoy.
- Avoid the following fashion – You can point to any stylistic trend in history to see the danger in spending a significant amount of money on this fashion trend in the watch industry. Buying a wristwatch model simply because it has captured the public’s imagination for a fleeting minute is a good way to land yourself with a tired and out-dated collection very quickly.
- Only buy a timepiece that suits you – A watch says a lot more about who you are and what you value in life than you think. So think carefully before rushing into your new watch.
- Do not buy purely as an investment – It is certainly possible for wristwatches to appreciate in value, but only adding to a watch collection those pieces you hope will someday make you rich is a very risky game.
Watch buying guide – Do your homework
Watch buying guide is to give you a clear idea of the different types of watches to choose from, as well as what to look for in a watch. Conducting extensive research into the watch or the brand you are interested in is vital if you want to avoid making costly mistakes and landing yourself with the wrong timepiece.
Here is a list of dress watches to choose from;
RSW Men's 'Armonia' Swiss Quartz Stainless Steel Dress Watch, Color:Silver-Toned (Model: 9340.BS.S0.5.D1)
ORIENT STAR Classic"Full Skeleton" 50 Hours Power Reserve Sapphire Hand Winding Dress Watch DX00002W
Rado HyperChrome Ceramic Plasma Automatic Chronograph Silver Dial Men's Strap Dress Watch Calendar R32276105
Here is a list of smart watches to choose from
Ticwatch C2, Wear OS Smartwatch for Women with Build-in GPS, Waterproof, NFC Payment, for iOS and Android (Black)
QKa Smartwatch Android 7.1 4G 2.03 Inch 900Mah 8MP Camera Ip67 Waterproof Smart Sport Watch GPS Watch for Men Heart...
Ticwatch E2, Waterproof Smartwatch with 24 Hours Heart Rate Monitor, Wear OS by Google, Compatible with Android and iOS
FITVII GPS Smartwatch with 17 Sports Mode Activity Tracker IP68 Waterproof Swimming Touch Screen Watches, Heart Rate...
Here is a list of dress watches to choose from
Here is a list of luxury watches to choose from